Lanzce Seirra Admin replied

567 weeks ago

General terms usage that use to find Party and other useful stuff.

Dungeon in Katakana :
サタシャ = Sastasha (romanji Satasha)
カパ = Copperbell Mines (romanji Kapa for shortform)
タムータラ = Tam Tara Deepcroft (romanji Tam-tara)
ハラ/ハラhリ = Halatali (romanji Hala for shortform)

will post more.

Meeha Default replied

567 weeks ago

イフリート is Bowl of Embers. (Ifrit) also I saw it being shortened to イフ
ブレーフロクス is Brayflox's Longstop.
tellくでさい is PST (please send tell)
行きませんか? means Do you want to go/come? (Won't you come)
よろしく です/お願いします is Nice to meet you
ありがとうございます is thank you (also just ありがとう)
pretty sure I saw アターカ being put in places too I think it could be either DPS or melee DPS, not too sure.

hidenshi Default replied

567 weeks ago

To clarify on the last entry above;

Classes and their roles will be an important one due to the discrepancy in naming / terminology.
As you noticed, terms such as アタッカー/アタカー (attacker) and ヒーラ/ヒラー/ヒラ (healer) are quite commonly used.
However, for a large portion of the JP community, FFXIVAAR (FFXIV新生エオルゼア or 新生 shinsei for short <- another difference) will be their first MMORPG.
MMO specific Terms such as 'Tank', 'DPS' (damage per second), 'dd' (damage dealer), DoT (damage over time) etc will not be understood for a while until they have been thoroughly exposed and learnt.

More pressing a matter is that the auto-translate does not seem to contain class names? (Or at least I could not find them). This is a big one because currently JP players do not use the standard 3 letter abbreviation system that was prevalent in FF11. (Partly due to those common abbreviations already being taken by the Job system and thus the classes needing different names… but mainly because, in the JP game environment the English names for each class are never shown again beyond the character creation screen and foreigners speaking in 'the barrens'.)

For reference, below is ENG / JP comparison of the classes currently listed on the square enix website (haven't bothered with the crafts of the hand/land yet)

Note: 「_術士」 "_jutsushi" pretty much = "Warrior in the art/discipline of _"

Gladiator [GLA] / 剣術士 kenjutsushi [剣] ken (sword)
Pugilist [PGL] / 格闘士 kakutoushi [格] kaku (literally: class / rank. But english wise can be perceived as 'martial' truncated from whole word 'martial art/ist'.)
Marauder [MRD] / 斧術士 fujutsushi [斧] ono (axe)
Lancer [LNC] / 槍術士 soujutsushi [槍] yari (spear)
Archer [ARC] / 弓術士 kyuujutsushi [弓] yumi (bow)
Conjurer [CNJ] / 幻術士 genjutsushi [幻] maboroshi (illusion, witchcraft, magic)
Thaumaturge [THM] / 呪術士 jujutsushi [呪] noroi (curse, sorcery, magic, incantation)
Arcanist [ACN] / 巴術士 hajutsushi [巴] tomoe (contextually, in the game, no meaning… but irl can be seen to represent concepts like 'man, earth, and sky' & 'circle of life' due to religious symbolism. Anyways refer here; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomoe)

567 weeks ago

atm Auto Translator do not have the Class/Job names, in 1.0 they have it. So we are not given the full Auto Translator just yet.

hidenshi Default replied

567 weeks ago

That's good to know. When I was playing with the auto-translator I found it very lacking and to be inferior to EVEN that of FF11! (Would have thought that 10 years+ of statistical data and feedback of what people wanted translated would prompt a small electronic dictionary by now huh? :P)

567 weeks ago

Yeap, there a lot of missing translation from 1.0, such as the Dungeon's name, place name, etc.

Kirino replied

567 weeks ago

Time to learn more about the Japanese language. Thanks for the basic terms. :D

Umbra Sanctum Default replied

567 weeks ago

atm Auto Translator do not have the Class/Job names, in 1.0 they have it. So we are not given the full Auto Translator just yet.Eirr

Why wouldn't this be the full auto-translator?

567 weeks ago

atm Auto Translator do not have the Class/Job names, in 1.0 they have it. So we are not given the full Auto Translator just yet.Eirr

Why wouldn't this be the full auto-translator?Umbra Sanctum

Because is still beta :P they already said by the launch time it will have all the translated and more new ones in time for launch day.

Fulrem replied

560 weeks ago

This was linked on the beta forums quite some time back but useful as a collection if people need to check something.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aj_Bjog66ddldFFVcGU1bUEwTmt1bjNJN3Rya1oyS1E&hl=en_US#gid=0
Please log in to post a reply.