SKYeXile replied

558 weeks ago

Alright, getting abit tired of moving out of red shit or interrupting stuff and the server going "nope" has anybody had any luck with any of the tunnels?

I live in Melbourne Australia, connecting to JP servers, im using internode adsl through a telstra socket and i typically get about 180ms-200 ping.

i am gonna try this when i get home:http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info13581-2.0.2.0.html

the tickrate it seems for FFXIV is 3…planetside in 2003 has 5…so yea…this is fucking terrible to play on with a high ping…. even a low ping really. think this game is mainly UDP though so it probably wont do shit.

I also called up my ISP and said what can they do so i can get a better ping, they said turning off interleaving may help by about 20ms:

What Is Interleaving?

Interleaving is a forward error correction technique used to increase stability and throughput on higher-speed ADSL services. It rearranges the data being transferred in order to make successful transmission more likely in the presence of ‘bursty’ noise. From the user’s perspective, it can mean faster downloads, at the expense of slightly higher latency.

Why Would I Turn It Off?

While most broadband users benefit from interleaving, if you are a dedicated online gamer you may prefer to turn it off to reduce latency.

not sure what else to do now other than use a tunnel to try to get a better ping, I would like to hear what else people have done to reduce ping and packet shaping and if you're using a tunnel, which one and is it working for you?

last edited 558 weeks ago by SKYeXile

Kowala replied

558 weeks ago

I was having a lot of latency issues and I already had a battleping account so I use that. Without BP i sit on 300+ latency to the JP servers, and with it I get around 190 stable latency.

I also did a bit of trouble shooting with the Battle ping support to get the lowest possible latency, I'm with telstra. They told me, your IP can influence your latency when your with telstra so try resetting your modem to change your IP and test ping. I went from 250 down to 160 after resetting my router a couple of times.

I also turned interweaving off. Also I googled port forwarding and configured my router to open the ports needed for FFXIV.

All of the above got me to stable 190ish ping. Before just using Battleping was still better than no tunneling service but with a bit of tweaking I'm pretty sure you can get a better latency.

Lhasa replied

557 weeks ago

im wondering the same. I live in Perth and currently sit around 200-195ms at best. Wondering if tunnels can help in any way? its stable at that, just would be nice to be a bit better.

was playing on NA servers prior and doin fights like titan where if you get hit by 1 thing thats game over is ridiculously frustrating >.<

Tomba replied

557 weeks ago

I have a WTFast account that I used to play some NA games.
For FFXIV ARR they only have 2 proxies located in Costa Rica so I guess that's for players who want to be on a NA server (or NA players who want to be on a JP server?)

My ping to JP is ~250. With WTFast it's ~60 to Costa Rica plus some more for the way back to JP, and the overall ping I see in Resource Monitor is still ~250 to the JP server. lol

Since they haven't updated anything on the app's forum, while BP is having beta servers located in JP and SG for SEA/Oceanic players, I'll cancel my WTFast account and wait for BP.

last edited 557 weeks ago by Tomba

fxfighter replied

557 weeks ago

Alright, getting abit tired of moving out of red shit or interrupting stuff and the server going "nope" has anybody had any luck with any of the tunnels?

I live in Melbourne Australia, connecting to JP servers, im using internode adsl through a telstra socket and i typically get about 180ms-200 ping.

i am gonna try this when i get home:http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info13581-2.0.2.0.html

the tickrate it seems for FFXIV is 3…planetside in 2003 has 5…so yea…this is fucking terrible to play on with a high ping…. even a low ping really. think this game is mainly UDP though so it probably wont do shit.SKYeXile
The game is mostly TCP not UDP.

Battleping works with the game and drops my ping from 180 to 130 but more importantly, it's consistent. Smoothping should also work but I'm not sure of the correct config settings for that at this time.

Yes the tick rate/responsiveness of this game is quite sad compared to other MMOs in the market…

SKYeXile replied

557 weeks ago

Yea i started using battle ping last night, dropped my ping from ranging to 150-220 to 120-160. id say its working. i have a paid account and im using the Tokyo sevrer.

Yea its certainly alittle more responsive now, but the client still has some issues.

Lucid replied

557 weeks ago

I have a WTFast account that I used to play some NA games.
For FFXIV ARR they only have 2 proxies located in Costa Rica so I guess that's for players who want to be on a NA server (or NA players who want to be on a JP server?)

My ping to JP is ~250. With WTFast it's ~60 to Costa Rica plus some more for the way back to JP, and the overall ping I see in Resource Monitor is still ~250 to the JP server. lol

Since they haven't updated anything on the app's forum, while BP is having beta servers located in JP and SG for SEA/Oceanic players, I'll cancel my WTFast account and wait for BP.Tomba

I'm not sure where you got the costa rica thing from, but it isn't true. I'm playing currently using one of two WTFast servers located in Tokyo, Japan getting 150ms over Telstra from South Australia.

Tomba replied

557 weeks ago

But those jp1 and jp2… oops they are just name servers of some sort for the real underlying addresses. And Costa Rica is where wtfast is located, my bad.

Edit: today WTFast got me from ~250 to ~200 so that's definitely working. And BP website has been down for a while now, can't get to try it to compare, oh well.

Altena Admin replied

551 weeks ago

Decided to take the plunge and sub to one.. Seriously won't look back! Made a massive difference.

I play on the NA servers. Had 340ms which was pretty ridiculous to dodge stuff at end game and decided to just sub to a few months with Pingzapper..

Works like a dream. Can't really ping myself anymore (due to the way the program works) but I would guess that I get about 250ms, considering I ping to the tunnel's Chicago server @210ms.

Difference is amazing. Can dodge anything unless I genuinely hesitate / stuff up.. So worth the dollars in my case…

If you are unsure if a tunnel would be a good option for you, Pingzapper's "trial" mode stays connected for 1hr, so that's plenty of time to test it in a Titan run or something. Most of the other companies that people mention (WTFast & Battleping etc) only have a 15min trial so it's pretty annoying to test.
Please log in to post a reply.